Sunday, March 29, 2009

Braised Cod with Plum Tomatoes

This was the first recipe that I used when I cooked my first cod. I found this recipe on a Martha Stewart magazine, and loved at how simple the recipe was. The flavor though, I thought was sophisticated. I haven't been able to find any cod steaks since I moved to Iowa almost three years ago, but for those of you who have access to fresh cod steaks, or even frozen-- this recipe is worth a try! Simple enough for a regular weeknight meal, but impressive enough for company. I love to serve mine with garlic mashed potatoes, in a shallow bowl. Enjoy!

(I will post pictures as soon as I can get my hands on cod steaks!)

Ingredients

Four 7-ounce cod steaks, skin and bones removed
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 ripe plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
Flat-leaf parsley, for garnish (optional)

Directions

Sprinkle both sides of cod steaks with oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle the tomato slices with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.

Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over high heat. When hot, add cod and tomato slices. Cook until cod steaks are golden on bottoms, about 41/2 minutes. Using a metal spatula, turn cod steaks and tomatoes. Add 1 cup water and the garlic; bring liquid to a simmer.

Simmer until cod begins to feel firm when you press it with your finger and it starts to flake, about 4 minutes. Divide cod, tomatoes, and broth among four soup plates. Garnish with parsley, and serve.

No comments: