Saturday, February 21, 2009

Indonesian Marble Cake (Kue Marmer)

Growing up in Indonesia, I always had a reservation with baking cake. First of all - everything was made from scratch. No boxes, no shortcuts. And I remember vividly, there were tons of egss involved! Forget cholesterol! Mom or grandma would lovingly whisk the eggs, sift the flour, everything! This particular cake is something that I grew up eating and I never had the recipe for. I searched and searched in the Internet and landed on this recipe.

Of course, as you can see, all of the measurements are in metrics --like most measurements in the world, except the US. Red and I tried to translate it the best way we can, but we think that this would have been more accurate if we had a scale. So here's another gadget that we put on the list to pick up next time!

The verdict: I absolutely adored the subtle and subdued flavoring of this cake. And ... oh the delicate texture was just heavenly. But this was not quiet how I remembered how this cake should taste like. I was thinking that it needed to be a little bit more moist. I told my mom over the phone, and she suggested that I reduce the amount flour. Hell-o! I also thought that batter should have been less dense. This was still a good win for something that I have never baked before. My friends absolutely loved this cake. Her husband's fave cake is... marble cake!! Red also liked this. But I guess the hardest critic was myself - I wanted a journey back to my childhood, and I didn't quiet get there with this one. So here I was, back in my apron, in my kitchen, back to another adventure.



Ingredients/ Bahan:

250 gr or 2 cups of powdered sugar (Gula halus)
300 gr or, 2 and 2/3 sticks of Butter or Margarine (Mentega)
225 gr or 1.5 cups + 2 tsp Self-raising flour
5 gr/ Baking powder
6 Egg yolks
5 Egg whites
5 gr Salt (Garam)
1/4 cup of Cocoa powder (coklat bubuk)
1 tsp Vanilla essence

Instructions

1. Mix the sugar and margarine until turn white and expanded.
2. Put in the eggs one by one and keep mixing it all the time. Add the flour also still keep mixing it. 3. Divide the mixture into 2, and give cocoa powder on one portion and vanilla essence/powder to the other portion.
4. Spoon alternately into baking pan so it will form a marble effect, and bake in 180°C or 320°F for 40 minutes.

No comments: