I have been wanting to try this recipe for a while. While I absolutely love Outback Steakhouse's ribs, somehow, this is the dish that I end up ordering every time I go out to Outback! It has all of my favorite ingredients: chicken breast, mushrooms, BACON (oh my goodness!! Have you noticed how many recipes I have had that has bacon in it?), and tons of cheese (my other weakness!).
Red licked his fingers & plate, clean and shiny, as he wolfed his dinner down. So I think this was a keeper, meaning that yes, we'll try this again in the future... maybe with a couple of modifications below.
I sauteed the mushrooms with sliced onions, because I thought it would make them softer, and sweeter... and I was right! Horaay! I also didn't have enough shredded Mexican cheese (gulp!), so more cheese would have been better next time (my waist wouldn't think so, but my taste buds usually win). And because I used really thick chicken breasts, I ended up leaving them in the oven additional 10-15 mins to ensure they are cooked thoroughly. Next time, I'd probably butterfly the thick slices for faster cooking. Enjoy!!
- 1 cup Dijon Mustard
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 12 slices bacon, cooked
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
Yield: 4-6 servings
- With an electric mixer combine the mustard, honey, and 1 Tbsp oil, and lemon juice for 1 minute.
- Pour 1/2 mixture over chicken in a gallon ziplock to marinate in fridge 2-24 hours.
- Chill remaining marinade to serve with chicken.
- After marinating chicken, preheat oven to 375°F Put remaining oil in frying pan. Heat and sear chicken on both sides.
- Transfer chicken to oven safe pan and brush with marinade.
- Meanwhile in frying pan add butter and saute mushrooms.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and peppers.
- Stack bacon across each breast, spoon mushrooms on each breast and then approx 1/3- 1/2 cup cheese on each.
- Cover pan with foil and bake 7-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with honey mustard marinade.