Friday, December 26, 2008

Sauteed Tofu


My grandmother used to make this dish when I was growing up in Indonesia. It is so simple to make, uses one of my fave ingredients, tofu, and a great pairing to a meat dish with strong flavoring. Sometimes I throw in some shitake mushrooms, and use chicken instead of shrimp as variation. If I decide to use chicken, you can still follow the same steps below, except that you need to cook the chicken first before adding in the tofu.
As many other grandmothers out there, she really didn't give me exact measurements to everything, she's used to a pinch of this and a little bit of that. This recipe is my best shot of her recipe.

Sauteed Tofus
Ingredients
  • 1 firm tofu, chopped into 1-inch cube
  • 1/2 cup of coarsely deveined shrimp
  • 1 tbsp of canola oil
  • 1 generous tbsp of chopped garlic
  • 3 tbsp of fish sauce
  • 1 tbsp of salt
  • 1 tsp of ground white pepper
  • Chopped green onions
  • Fried shallot for garnish
Directions
  • Sautee the chopped garlic in canola oil until soft and slightly browned in medium heat.
  • Add shrimp, tofu, fish sauce, salt, and white pepper. Let it sit for about 10 mins, covered. Turn down the heat.
  • Fold in the green onions.
  • Sprinkle fried shallots before serving.

No comments: