Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Homemade Frosty Paws

Our puppy Charlotte Mae, is turning 2 this Friday. She was born on May 29, 2007. Since her birthday falls during the Memorial Day weekend, I knew that I'd have time to bake her some homemade treats! She has a really hard job all week, sleeping 10-12 hrs every day when we're at work on her over-sized pillow and mini body pillow.

Here's a picture of her back in the early fall of 2007, where she only weighed about 65 lbs, and can fit nicely to her kiddie pool.

One big challenge that I have with her is that she has sensitive stomach, and the only food that she's been able to eat without having reactions to it has been Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Allergy Formula Food. The three types that we know for sure that she's not allergic to is the Sweet Potato with Venison formula; Potato with Duck, and Sweet Potato with Salmon.



All of these restrictions made it a little bit tough for me to find just the right recipe where she is not allergic to. I saw two recipes online that I thought was simple and can be modified to fit Charlotte's dietary needs, and this was one of them.

Charlotte was so excited to get a little early birthday treat that she can enjoy during the hot days. We used to love getting her the frosty paws from the store, and this was a better option. Not only that it was inexpensive & easy to make, I know for sure that I have quality ingredients.

If you have a furry friend that would love this, make sure to give this a try!!

Homemade Frosty Paws

Ingredients

1 Quart plain or vanilla yogurt
1 banana (1 large jar banana baby food)
2 Tbsp peanut butter
2 Tbsp honey

Directions

If using regular banana mash well....mix all ingredients until well blended ( you could use a food processor or blender) Place into ice cube trays or small bathroom sized cups and freeze. Once frozen you can store in freezer in plastic bag.

The great thing is you can play with recipe and add stuff that your dog likes.


2 comments:

Melissa said...

Happy birthday Charlotte Mae! She's adorable, I wish I had a dog to make treats for.

Pat said...

I want to wish Charlotte Mae a very happy 2nd birthday! She is a very lucky dog! I know she has a very devoted Mommy and Daddy!