Friday, May 1, 2009

Snickerdoodles

I have been craving cookies for a couple of weeks now, and decided that I'd like to make these treats so I can enjoy them with coffee. They're perfect and light, and tasted even better the second day. I used Emeril's recipe but made some tweaks.



Ingredients

  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
  • 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar, plus 3 tablespoons
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp of cream tartar
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • a pinch of nutmeg

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Sift the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cream of tartar and salt into a bowl.

With a handheld or standing mixer, beat together the shortening and butter. Add the 1 1/2 cups sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla, combine well. Add the flour mixture and blend until smooth.

Mix the 3 tablespoons sugar with the cinnamon in a small bowl. Roll the dough, by hand, into 1 1/2-inch balls. Roll the balls in the cinnamon sugar and line them up about 2-inch apart on a unlined cookie sheets. Bake until light brown, but still moist in the center, about 12 minutes.

Cool on a rack.

Yield: Approx. 3-4 dozens.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Snickerdoodles are my favorite. I've never made anything but the Betty Crocker recipe, so maybe I will give these a try!

h2babe said...

Thanks Nicole, they're mine, too! I checked out your blog and saw your BC version. I may try that this weekend.

the happy family said...

i love these cookies. my hubby would love if i would make them too. thanks for the idea!